Thursday, January 11, 2007

Wow

On Monday night through a chance encounter on late night television I rediscovered a brilliant Britsh sitcom called Black Books. The following evening on my way home from work, full of happy thoughts about the laughs to come I drove to my local JB Hi-Fi to purchase the box set. After a quick scan of the shelves and a long and irritating conversation with some form of retail programmed supergeek, complete with large, square, brown framed glasses and calculator in his top pocket, I was informed that they had no copies of the program I sought. This is the third time I've gone to this shop looking for something reasonably well known and been told they have none in stock. It's not like I'm looking for Japanese import copies of Frank Zappa albums you useless fucks. Get your shit together.

It was this minor setback that forced me to enter the fiendish rat's maze known as WOW Sight and Sound. Anyone who has ever entered one of these hellish places will understand what I'm about to say.

If there's one thing that annoys me more than just about anything else it's being treated like an idiot. Therefore, I have an extreme hatred of stores that are laid out like Hampton Court fucking Maze in some half baked attempt to make you walk around in circles trying to find what you're looking for. The logic to this, as any oily haired fuckwit with a marketing degree will tell you, is that if you walk past more stuff, you'll be tempted to buy more.

Unfortunately, being possessed of an IQ above 100 this type of thing doesn't really work on me all that well. Do you really think that by making me wander around the whole place with my johnson in my hand looking for the right section then the checkout then the exit you're somehow going to trick me into buying more stuff? What it has done is make me vow that I will never buy anything from these evil and condescending fuckers ever again....If only I thought that meant something. Sigh...

As a postscript to this little tirade I would like to note that while JB Hi-Fi had no copies of Black Books in stock, they did have an extensive selection of DVDs of Blankety Blanks* starring Graham Kennedy. Why would anyone in their right mind be interested in watching 30 year old game shows on DVD?

*
For the uninitiated Blankety Blanks was half arsed game show hosted by Australia's "King" of television: Graham Kennedy. The show was extremely popular with the type of people who would have been disgusted had they known Kennedy was a closet homosexual. It also featured a useless comedian known as Ugly Dave Grey who turned up later in life advertising erectile dysfunction products.

2 Comments:

At 12:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, Ugly Dave Gray - Blankety Blanks to Erectile Disfunction...

I hope I'm not the only one who finds that funny.

 
At 3:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand where you're coming from - my man and i were in JB wandering around in circles for a good 20 minutes being sent on a wild goose chase to find 'loose change' in the special interest section at capalaba, having been told by 3 different workers that it's there, until.....i asked to speak to the manager (i was pissed by this time) who then told me that they no longer have a special interest section and that we had to go to carindale......which we did.....only for them to have to order the dvd in for us!!!! And they were treating us like dickheads!!!

And now i see they have ugly Dave over flowing - huh!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home